Readers- Rather than revisit the issues of this past week, we've decided to invite you all into the Wayback Machine to see what was going on in Hope n' Change four long years ago. It's interesting and depressing!
The Democrats have now enlisted union members to help them "punch back twice as hard"
at townhall meetings, drowning out and physically intimidating anyone
who questions the president's healthcare bill. But why would the unions
support Obamacare unless it was good for their membership? Because the healthcare bill gives union members a better deal than everyone else (except politicians) will get.
And all the unions have to do in return is pay off the Democrats with
forced union dues, and occasionally beat the snot out of people who get
in the way.
July 2013 Update: The unions are now up in arms because it turns out Obamacare will cripple their healthcare insurance and destroy fulltime jobs. Too bad the unions weren't reading Hope n' Change four years ago, huh?
Other news from that first week in August, four years ago:
• The president's poll numbers took a dive as the effects of his policies started becoming clear. And his job performance numbers still stink now, although his personal numbers show that many people still believe him to be someone who is clean, articulate, "lacks a Negro dialect" (credit to Harry Reid for that one) and has perfectly-pressed creases in his pants.
• Obama's economic advisors admitted that just maybe there would have to be an increase in middle-class taxes after Obama promised repeatedly that it would never, ever happen. Then Supreme Court Justice Roberts ruled that Obamacare is a tax...making it the largest middle-class tax hike in history.
• Barry's administration announced a draconian program which encouraged Americans to report their friends and neighbors who disagreed with the president's policies. The email address was, disgustingly, "email@example.com" - and it quickly became overwhelmed with people self-reporting that they were friends of America and enemies of Barry's latest attempt at totalitarianism.
• Panicky elected Democrats were trying to figure out how to avoid returning home to their districts where they were facing increasingly angry constituents at townhall meetings. In the short term, they solved the problem by either not showing up, or by doing "teleconferences" which kept them safe from the rabble. In the long term, however, the IRS was directed to put an end to this sort of inconvenience and come down hard on fiscal conservatives and patriots to prevent them from organizing to express their opinions and concerns. And, oh yeah, make their lives hell.
• And finally in the Hope n' Change news of that week, we reported on a woman who contracted HIV from a gorilla. Which doesn't really have an exact corollary at present time, other than to let us point out that "safe sex" is rarely safe, especially if you're doing it with a gorilla...or your Twitter account.