Thursday, February 25, 2010
Click Cartoon for Larger Size
Today, Barack Obama is seeking Republican input and ideas on healthcare reform with the same enthusiasm and sincerity as Osama Bin Laden would show when seeking a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich.
The purpose of the meeting is not really to seek bipartisan solutions to real problems, but is instead pure political theater being presented as a prelude to the Democrats' reconciliation plan to ram through healthcare regulation against the will of the American people.
But is "reconciliation" to pass legislation with only 51 votes really such a terrible thing? All of these Democrats thought so in 2005...
• Barack Obama: "not what the founders intended."
• Hillary Clinton: "A bridge too far."
• Charles Schumer: "Checks and balances (will be)...evaporated by the nuclear option."
• Harry Reid: "The arrogance of power."
• Dianne Feinstein: "will turn the Senate into a body that can have its rules broken at any time."
• Joe Biden: "a naked power grab."
Today's Healthcare Summit is just a preview of coming attractions. The real show is about to begin.