Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Hope n' Change will be the first to admit that today's cartoon isn't exactly subtle... but then, neither is the message that the American people are sending to the president.
In a new poll from CBS/New York Times (two alleged news organizations that love Barack Obama), 80% of people interviewed say they are not better off than they were 4 years ago. And the other 20% are presumed to be Sandra Fluke's boyfriends.
Moreover, the president's approval rating has hit an all-time low of 41%, and his disapproval rating has hit an all-time high of 47%. These numbers represent a big drop in the last month alone, giving the lie to the media narrative that Obama is being swept into a glorious second term on the strength of a nonexistent economic recovery, a nonexistent energy policy, his nonexistent military victories, and of course his newly-declared dedication to fighting Republicans in the nonexistent "War on Women."
The president has, however, one solid accomplishment under his belt (no hand lotion joke intended), which is...(drum roll, please)...the killing of Osama bin Laden.
Or, more accurately, the fact that he didn't have a politically expedient way of stopping Seal Team Six from killing Osama bin Laden.
Which is why the president's new bought-and-paid-for political mockumentary, "The Road We've Traveled," pays so much attention to Osama's death...showing Barack Obama furrowing his brow in heavy thought and courageously jutting his chin while violins play emotion-stirring music and Tom Hanks (no, really!) narrates the story of the bravest decision ever made by a human being: to sit in a room thousands of miles from any danger while wearing golf clothes and mentally planning his next vacation to Martha's Vineyard.
But will that be enough to turn the poll numbers around, and make Americans forget that their lives have gotten worse, the country and Constitution weaker, and our enemies stronger under this president? Hope n' Change doesn't think so.
Because when the Republican primaries finally come to an end, there's only going to be one real news story of any importance: Barack Hussein Obama's terrible performance as president of the United States.
And when that story really hits, he'll only wish he had the poll numbers he enjoys today.